Energy efficient electric winches for Airborne Wind Energy with integrated motor, electronics and gear systems designed for demanding AWE winch dynamics.

Product sheet

FE create has developed the largest Airborne Wind Energy winch that is on the market today. Our 250 kW AWE winch has a maximum pull force on 8,6 tonne-f and can spool up to 25 m/s on the inner layer.

Item numberPull force
1. layer
PowerLine speed
low gear
Line speed
high gear
Total winch
// 1 driveline
1AW053-0011 tonne-f31 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,61 m1,2 m
1AW053-0022 tonne-f62 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,65 m1,2 m
1AW053-0033 tonne-f93 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,69 m1,2 m
1AW053-0044 tonne-f125 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,73 m1,2 m
1AW053-0055 tonne-f156 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,77 m1,2 m
1AW053-0066 tonne-f187 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,81 m1,2 m
1AW053-0077 tonne-f218 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,85 m1,2 m
1AW053-0088 tonne-f250 kW4 m/s25 m/s1,89 m1,2 m
// 2 drivelines
2AW053-0022 tonne-f62 kW4 m/s25 m/s2,89 m1,2 m
2AW053-0044 tonne-f125 kW4 m/s25 m/s2,97 m1,2 m
2AW053-0066 tonne-f187 kW4 m/s25 m/s3,05 m1,2 m
2AW053-0088 tonne-f250 kW4 m/s25 m/s3,13 m1,2 m
2AW053-01010 tonne-f312 kW4 m/s25 m/s3,21 m1,2 m
2AW053-01212 tonne-f375 kW4 m/s25 m/s3,29 m1,2 m
2AW053-01414 tonne-f437 kW4 m/s25 m/s3,37 m1,2 m
2AW053-01616 tonne-f500 kW4 m/s25 m/s3,45 m1,2 m

Airborne Wind Energy (AWE)

Energy efficient electric winches for Airborne Wind Energy with electronics and gear systems designed for demanding AWE winch dynamics. The winch slowly spools out with a high torque and produces energy with help of a synthetic fibre line attached to an advanced kite that flies up in the aircurrents. The kite flies in a circle, perpendicular to the wind direction and creates pulling force in the line to the AWE winch. To produce this energy the line is braked at a speed of 1/3 of the wind speed. The winch converts the mechanical braking force into electric power. The kite flies up in a helix and is dragged up by the wind that hit the area it sweeps. When the kite reaches maximum height it will descend rapidly again and position itself for a new energy production loop. When the kite is retracted, the angle of attack changes and the area on the kite exposed to the wind is reduced and close to insignificant. The kite is being retrieved several times faster than the reel out speed, hence the winch needs to pull in at a high speed. A kite turbine produces energy 90% of the time and pulls the kite back for the remaining 10% of the time. For more information about Airborne Wind Energy see

MIL is a central element in University of Agder’s vision of becoming a global high-competence center for mechatronics and new materials. FE create has signed a contract with Mechatronics Innovation Lab (MIL) at UiA in Grimstad for a delivery of an innovative and compact electric winch that will be used for testing at MIL. Learn more at